Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Love Actually is...all around us.

They do say that death usually happens in 3's...and this past month or so, there have been 3 people who've been a part of my life and my family's lives who have died. People from my old church, who became like family to us when we didn't have our 'own' family around us. Today was the funeral of a man who has been so loved by our family, and so many others for so many years. Ralph. Him and his wife have had the sweetest marriage, and he has left behind an enormous family and collection of friends, as witnessed by such a huge gathering of people saying their good-bye's to this kind, dear man. Its always sad when someone leaves this world, even though I know he's in a world so much greater now, where he isn't suffering the effects of sickness and pain on a weary body...All the pictures we saw yesterday of him and his wife of 60+ years, holding hands, kissing, arms around each other...is an inspiration and reminder of the fact that there ARE still good and happy marriages, full of love and devotion to one another. Its easy to get discouraged these days, when there is so much pain and chaos in the world around us, broken marriages and families, sickness and disease, disasters, financial crisis...and while valid causes for discouragement, I can't help but be reminded that LOVE ACTUALLy is...all around us. Remember the opening scene from the movie Love Actually? Watch this. Never mind the Spanish subtitles. But, I think of this scene often when I hear about all the sad, terrible things happening, and am reminded that Love Actually is...all around us.

9 comments:

Life With My Joys..... said...

Aw, Kris. So sorry, sweet friend. And so true. How I love you and your sweet little marriage. I'm sorry about your losses....

Love and miss you, Dearie...

Rachael said...

Sure puts things into perspective when we see how fragile life really is...thanks for the reminder, kristi.

Angie said...

oh, that's sad...yet hopeful and sweet too (about Ralph). He was awesome. hope you are having a great week. we are away now, but I will try to call at the end of the week...i'm sure you are missing my rambling phone calls. :)

Anonymous said...

can i send this blog to kara? i know she would love it!
love erin

WakeupMaggie said...

OH please let erin send this to kara.. She would REALLy love it. She and I were just chatting this moring about her granpie. Nancy would also like it too. Its always so nice to have people speak well about those who mean the most to you.

You are a great writer Kris.. I love whenyou update and i get to read how you are feeling in that day.

It seems you were fortunate to knwo this man.

Havea great great day my dearest girl..

Love yah.. :)
amanda

WakeupMaggie said...

Thanks for beinga St. Paddys day hater with me. you're the BEST! You really are the best kind of friend. Im exicted to watch movies with you and Ere on friday night.. I'll pop up some corn and buy erin some pepsi.. I will be able to have some popped corn with you! erin has said MANY times that I should give Love Actually another chance. I hated Hugh Grant so much that i decided I hated the movie before I ever watched it and it might have actually been good but I was jaded. So how about we add that to the list asw ell.

What tiem are you guys coing over? Im free ALL NIGHT!

WakeupMaggie said...

MERCY! we ahve 4 shows to watch so COME EARLY.. like at 6 or 6:30!!!!! Im not taking a night off persay.. but I am already planning on ONE treat. (i will work out prior to you guys coming over) then Iw ill have water and my yogurt. I dont know what i want yet though.. if im going to have a tret i want it to be GOOD. I do have some chocolate brownie cheesescake in my freezer from PC that you and erin can eat up. thats not what im craving.. maybe cinnamon rolls again.. but id weat the whole pan.. maybe a blizzard? maybe garlic fingers>? OH MAN >.. garlic fingers.. i dont know what i want yet.. maybe just a bag of sour candy.. not sure.. maybe HOMEMADE COOKIES!. liek id liek those cookies your mom makes... Erin had one the other day and ive thought of it witha cup of tea a few times.. golly.. Iwhat will i have. Im off that day at 11.. so i will work out extra hard in case i slip up.. (Not a slip up though IF its planned right! hahahaha)

anyhow.. come before Jonah goes to bed.. it will be till saturday till you see him but it will make your time that much more sweet. So coem over early.. when does Erin get off work?


oh.. im sooo excited!!

the owrd verification today was "mufert" i wish i had a dog named Mufert.

Kara said...

Kristi, this is a beautiful tribute to an amazing man. He was the best Grampie I could have hoped for, and I know how much he loved the Bredin family (espically the girls!). He raised a large family on purpose and we have all learned from his example. He would rather talk about everyone else than himself, and even in his weaker years he still gave the best hugs of anyone I know. Mom was telling us last night that when we were growing up he actually taught us how to give "hugs with a noise". He would hug us and then tell us to make the "Mmmmm" squeeze noise! :) I miss him, but I know he's happy and pain-free now. Thanks for all your prayers

Nancy said...

Thanks so much for writing this Kristi, and for sharing it with us... it is wonderful to hear. We know it to be true ourselves but always nice to hear it from others. Just to send a little bouquet back, your parents are some of the dearest around. My Mom and Dad thought the world of them and it seemed to be mutual. When Dad had a setback last fall I bumped into your Mom and Dad at Cdn Tire. I was really worried about him, my heart was on my sleeve and they could sense that but they allowed me to stand there and cry on their shoulder. There were very few people I could share that pain with and I appreciate them so much. When Dad died, they were people we wanted tell personally. Hugs to you today