Thursday, April 12, 2012
My four year old boy...
As I begin to type, I wonder how much time I will have, seeing as I hear Jonah upstairs NOT napping as I have instructed him to do so he can stay up 'late' tonight when his family comes for supper to celebrate his birthday. But, who can blame him? Its his birthday - and he is excited.
Today is not necessarily going as planned. He was a little disappointed when he walked down the stairs this morning and the only decorations that were up were the ones that have been up since his birthday party on Saturday. but, I convince him its fine. I do hate to disappoint, though.
Since Jonah turned 2, I've taken him out for breakfast for his birthday. I love traditions, and when they change...I feel sad and disappointed. I intended to take him out for breakfast - even without a babysitter or a car, my intention was to walk down the road to either Sam's or Tim Horton's and stick with my tradition. At his request, it was going to be Tim's. (for a sprinkle donut, of course!) So, we bundled up and open the door...and its raining. It didn't LOOK like it was raining from inside. Anyways. I convinced him that sprinkles on our pancakes and a green Larry the Cucumber-shaped pancake would 'do'. He obliged.
So...then little brother goes for a nap and I have some alone time with Jonah. We make a paper birthday crown. Its the best 'birthday-ish' thing I can come up with. He seemed happy enough, then decided he wanted to wear the crown he made in Sunday School a few weeks ago instead. No problem.
He wanted cupcakes, so...I made cupcakes. He wants a cherry on top, but...I don't have cherries.
He doesn't want to sleep, but I want him to so i can have a few minutes to myself. I went up to tell him he needs to stay in bed, and he was not being as calm as I wanted him to be so I got cross. A few minutes later, he has to poop, so I have to go up AGAIN. Only this time I feel bad, so I apologize for getting cross. He says "when were you cross?"
Thank you for forgetting, Jonah. For a kid who seems to remember everything, it amazes me that he doesn't hold a grudge against me for all the many, many times I get cross and wish I were a little more patient and easy-going.
I just read the blog post "Your Children Want YOU" that is all over facebook today...and I am listening to my boy calling me upstairs, and I am telling myself: its okay to skip the nap. He's four. Its his birthday. He's a good boy. and you are a good Mama. Just go get him and spend a few minutes with JUST HIM. Before baby boy wakes up and distracts.
I want to write more about this boy I love so much, but...it can wait.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
love you kris. you are such an awesome, intuitive, loving mama. i think you did an awesome job 'rescuing' the tradition of breakfast together. I do that to myself often too, but good for you for letting yourself off the hook and continuing on. I hope you and Jonah had some good one on one time and that he had fun with another party! :) xoxo
Post a Comment