Saturday, February 19, 2011
a sad day
Well...today was a sad day. One of my very good friends lost his mom today to cancer. It was a long, long battle for her, and they were relieved to see her go peacably this morning, and not have to suffer anymore, but...there's still such a sadness there, losing a parent. Aren't we too young to be having funerals for our friends' parents? And how many of our current friends, do we even know their parents? There's something about old friends that just makes your bond so much stronger than a new friend. So much history, and really knowing a person from having spent so much time together over so many years, and being in so many different phases of life together. You feel their pain and sadness differently than someone who hasn't been around as long. Nothing against new friends, 'cause I love new friends - most of the people I spend time with are new friends...but the safety and familiarity of an old friend...is not replacable. So...I am feeling the sadness with my friends today who are grieving the death of a parent. Something I don't know from experience what it feels like. What you can possibly say or do to 'help', I don't know, but...my heart is aching for this family we have known so long who lost such a huge part of their family...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
It's really sad. Thanks for letting me know this morning. From my own experience (with Rob's mom and with others here), just expressing that you feel the loss too means alot. Also, attending either the wake and/or the funeral means the world. It's never convenient to attend either, but we have learned over the years just how much this means to people...especially when they see that attending was 'inconvenient' for you...but you value them enough to do so. You know all that though, being the sweet, thoughtful woman you are. :) Anyways, I love you K, and we'll have to talk soon. When is the funeral?
Post a Comment