Monday, July 1, 2013

Levi - 18 months (and almost a week...2nd child syndrome, folks...no big deal)

So, to celebrate Levi's 1 and a HALF birthday last Tuesday...we took him to the Bronx Zoo - which he loved! I am pretty sure the pigeons flying around that place were his favorite, though -- go figure. 

This little fella is changing so much! We've only been gone a month, but it seems like he has changed soo much in the past month.  I didn't get a picture with his lion, but -- here is a picture to commemorate him on the day he turned 18 months...here we are, eating breakfast at the Carmel Diner...where Jay and I had our first date! :

So...some fun little facts about Levi....he is obsessed with balls!! Every time we walk by the basketball court, or even in peripheral vision from it...he starts excitedly chanting: "ballllll!!! ballll!!!!"  He's very independent -- (read: strong willed) -- and likes to do things the way HE wants to do them...he is very 'vocal' about it if you try to get him to do something he doesn't want to do.  Which is often around here lately...he's cute, right?? So everyone wants to hold him and tickle him and pick him up.  And he does.not.like it.  And he communicates it well, too.  He's more of a 'from a distance' kind of person...he flashes smiles and says 'hi' to everyone...but as soon as they come near him, he's not interested. Though the other day there was free time for the campers, and everyone was hanging around on the pavement in front of the dining hall, skipping rope, playing with sidewalk chalk, water guns...and he was right in the thick of it - kids picking him up and everything...and he was un-phased.  Who can figure this kid out, I don't know.  Anyways...I'm hoping the exposure to so many people will soon feel a little more 'normal' for him and he won't be so clingy. This kid LOVES his Mama, that's for sure.  He has the hugest smile, beaming from ear to ear when he sees me...even if it is only mere seconds since he last layed eyes on me.  He squeals in delight every time I get him from bed.  Which he climbed out of this morning, by the way.  Jonah and I were in the kitchen eating breakfast, and Levi comes walking around the corner like it ain't no 'thang.  Okaaaaaayyyy. not sure what to do about THAT.  He's still sleeping in his play pen.  And he is still a really good sleeper - still naps around 2-3 hours in the afternoon -- and 12-13, sometimes more, at night....he's usually up at least an hour later than Jonah in the morning (they still share a room).  He loves his blue blankie...but doesn't seem to be too bothered with stuffed animals. 

He loves playing with trucks and blocks.  Just lastnight, Jonah and Jay were up at the chapel watching a movie with the campers, and I had some one-on-one time with Levi...and it was the sweetest thing, reading books with him and snuggling -- he was so happy, I put him to bed a half hour later than normal -- he just seemed so delighted to be hanging out with just me! 

He is learning new words every day: today he said "Mammie" when we were talking on Skype with her -- his first time!! He says Papa, ball, bath, hair, Da-da, Mama, Jo-Jo (there is a kid here named Jo-Jo...we're still not sure if he thinks of Jonah when he says it...or every white kid around that size...), baby, bye-bye, "goggie" (doggie), Elmo (I can't type exactly what he says for Elmo, its a sing-songy little voice he uses, like "ee-ooo"), he says a sound for Cookie monster and Big Bird too, which I won't bother attempting to type.  He knows what a lion says and a monkey says.  He can point to his toes, hair, belly, eyes, nose, teeth, and hands.  He seems to understand so much of what we say.  He's getting more and more verbal all the time, but -- so far doesn't seem nearly as 'chatty' as I remember Jonah being at the same age.  He's very happy - but selective with who he shares his happiness with...he seems a little on the shy side.  He loves to dance!!! Loves music - he sings 'na - na naaaa' (to the tune of lullaby) when he's tired and when we are snuggling him before bed.  I would never have said he's a picky eater, though with this camp food, it seems that he has become one. But then again, so have I...

He loves his shoes! Its one of the first things he wants when he first gets out of bed in the morning, to go and put his shoes on.  His little blue crocs. Which broke yesterday. yikes.  He loves going in the car - loves being in his stroller -- really, he loves to be outside and doing things! 

He's a very busy little baby...does not sit still!! Which is interesting when we try to take him to chapel...he does okay during the singing, but we usually end up leaving when any amount of talking happens! 

He still loves milk...the milk tastes different here, but - I think he has finally gotten used to it! He still uses a sippy cup - but finally learned to drink out of a straw a couple weeks ago!! He wants lemonade whenever we have it...which seems to be our beverage of choice these days -- and he loves it! He prefers to drink out of a real cup...but he's still quite messy with it.  He loves cheese, and oatmeal...and cookies...and anything with flavour...doesn't seem too delighted with the camp food, but when we go out to eat, he gobbles it up!  Bread is his favorite food group, I think!

I am probably missing many of the things that make him 'him'...but this boy...he seriously melts our hearts...we are all just smitten with him (unless he is being 'vocal' about his unhappiness...then we all get fairly annoyed with him! poor fella) -- and he is just a sweet little snuggle bug...I feel like around camp he has a bad reputation for being grumpy and unfriendly...but in his circle of comfort, he is just a sweet, lovable, cuddly, funny little darlin'...he loves to tease and make us laugh! I am beyond grateful that I get to be this little boy's Mama...Time goes so fast -- but with all the things he's learning...I'm glad he still seems like such a baby sometimes, too...he's growing and healthy, but still has such a 'baby-ness' about him that I love...I love the age he is at right now, learning so many new things, so aware and interested in the world around him...he's so smart - so funny and sweet and awesome...I love you, Levi Wilson Paulino.

1 comment:

Beautiful Books and other inspirations said...

I miss that guy so much. i love hearing you write about him! what a sweet tribute to a sweetie! I hope he's not too shy when he sees me again! I love him so much! I can't wait to see him!Love E.