Saturday, April 13, 2013

Jonah is 5 Years Old

 
  1. Favorite TV Show: Phineas and Ferb and Sonic the Hedgehog.
  2. Favorite color: orange and blue.
  3. Favorite book: Phineas and Ferb magazine and Geronimo (Stilton)
  4. Favorite toy/hobby: look at books, building towers, playing computer and with Daddy’s ipod.
  5. Favorite food: chicken on the bone and Rice Chex
  6. Favorite friends: Daddy and Mama, cousins, Erin and Danny, Mike and Alyson, Levi, Darian.
  7. Favorite outfit: Sonic sweater and Mario shirt (just new for his birthday)
  8. Favorite fruit: not banana. its better than banana: orange.
  9. Favorite snack: cookies - vanilla.
  10. Favorite animal: platypus.
  11. Favorite cereal: little cereals.
  12. Favorite thing to do outside: play with my ladder (also new for this birthday)
  13. Favorite restaurant: favorite ‘srestraunt’ is Swiss Chalet.
  14. Favorite drink: orange juice or milkshake.
  15. Who/what do you like to have in bed with you: Perry, Larry, Tyrone, puppies, blue blanket and star blanket.
  16. What meal do you want for your birthday: enchiladas, beans, rice...and Rice Chex. (got a laugh the first time, so he wanted to try it again!)
  17. What do you want to do when you grow up? I wanna be a librarian.
  18. What makes you so happy right now? play with my toys from my birthday, I love Mama, snuggling with Mama, and playing with my ladder.
  19. What is your favorite song? worship songs.
  20. What do you like the best about you? helping people, I think I’m funny, playing computer games and Leap Pad and Daddy’s Ipod.
 
 
So - my baby is 5 years old. Something about '5' that seems so...old. He had his kindergarten assessment this week - which is a mile-stone in and of itself...and now here he is: an actual 5 year old. What?????

I love this kid. so much. He is sweet and funny and charming and fun and up for anything - everything is an 'adventure' for Jonah - anything out of the ordinary seems so exciting to him.  I usually make breakfast a big deal on his birthday - but since I had to work in the morning, we had a small pizza delivered to us for lunch, and he thought that was so much fun! Then we played Scrabble Junior -- poor kid, I clearly don't play games with him enough -- he was on top of the world that we were playing that!! And he was bouncing off the walls at his party at supper-time with Papa and Mammie, Erin and Danny, Mike and Alyson, Amanda and Silas, and Lori, Maggie, Sarah, and MaryAnne - a house FULL of people - and he was sooo so happy! He got awesome presents - and was so happy with each one -- I was so grateful for that -- he handled the chaos and loads of 'stuff' really well and was kind and happy and non-bratty -- always a plus!!

I see so much of myself in Jonah -- both good and bad, unfortunately...things I know about myself, when I see in him....I'm even more aware of those characteristics in myself...which is why when we 'fight'...we really get on each others' nerves...we are both very 'react-ory' when we're hurt or frustrated...very verbal and just needing to be heard...so when we're upset with each other...well: its even more frustrating for both of us...but...we get over things once we get our words out, generally speaking. We have a lot of passion, both of us!! Which can be good...and can be bad, too, of course! He is full of mercy, though -- so many times, I am ashamed of my reactions and quick-ness with things that upset me...and he is so quick to forgive me and move on.  He is a very good communicator - I never have to wonder what he's thinking or what's on his mind - he wears his heart on his sleeve.  He's very sensitive - when he knows he's hurt us or disappointed us, he gets teary and sad...when he makes us mad...he tends to be quite stubborn and angry...I remind him several times a day that he needs to stop 'growling'...when he's frustrated he 'growls' or grunts - and makes these angry sounds...which drives me crazy...and then I hear those same annoying sounds coming out of my mouth...and I internally reprimand myself for the same thing. yikes.

He loves to pray...and I so often wish I could record his prayers, because I don't want to ever forget the sweetness and depth of truth he already knows about Jesus - and how he talks to Him and thanks Him and worships Him with this simple, profound child-like faith. I've learned much from him.  He loves to sing - loves to dance! He still makes up worship songs - that are pretty near impossible to listen to without your eyes filling with tears and your heart exploding with love...I love his heart.

He is so eager to please - loves to help me cook, set the table, clear the table -- vacuum!! - help with Levi - clean up his toys - get dressed by himself.  He still loves the bath - yesterday I was finishing up a few things in the kitchen while he was in the tub - and he washed his hair and body and got himself OUT of the tub, hung up the bath mat and put all the toys away before I even realized what he had done! I guess he figures he's old enough!

He loves playing outside -- even more-so when he has someone to play with, of course! He entertains himself quite well most of the time - still loves building towers and playing with all his little toys...he's a very good little artist these days! He's really interested in learning about numbers and letters and anything 'school-y'! I think he will love school!!

He's so awesome with Levi (most of the time!) - and just instinctively helps him and 'rescues' him when he falls or starts going up the stairs -- I love seeing these two together -- they mutually adore each other -- I hope this is always true of them! Jonah can make Levi laugh like nobody else can!! They play really well together and just love each other so much -- I'm so grateful!

My battery is dying on my computer -- and I see I have rambled on enough, anyways. I'm so thankful for this little boy -- Happy Birthday, Jonah Daniel Mark -- I love you.


1 comment:

Beautiful Books and other inspirations said...

WE are all lucky to have such a HUGE ray of sunshine in our lives. He really does shine bright and is such a special little boy. I love how you describe him and I love that I know him and all those things you love about him, I know and are so familiar. I'm so glad I've had the privilege to see him almost every day. and I am so glad that we are always going to be family no matter what! Happy birthday jo.