Wednesday, January 9, 2013

My new friend, Ann

Ann Voskamp...I am beginning to understand why she has so many people who love her. What an inspiration. I am enjoying her book, and enjoying following her on facebook. Her quote today is:

"And life is only lived when it is given —so you have to get out of yourself, give of yourself and fall in love outside of yourself — and go into the world though you’re afraid and give though you don’t know how and whisper everywhere, whisper everywhere: wake up because the stone is rolled away and He is not a tame lion and listen, there it is — His lion heart beating everywhere." Ann Voskamp

I have felt so discouraged lately with church...we have been in such transition for almost 2 years now...probably longer, to be honest...we lost both of our pastors within a year and a half...leaving the 5 elders to 'clean up' and step up and...take the blame, really...for it seems like almost everything 'gone wrong' over the years...and my husband, being one of those 5 elders...well...its very discouraging, let's just say that, lest I gain a follower on this here blog I'm not expecting...I cannot be super transparent on this blog about too much beyond the basics of my daily life...but this quote was an encouragement/challenge to me...

IT IS NOT ABOUT US!!!!!

Unless we can get outside ourselves...we will remain only selfish, only concerned with what WE want...and will threaten to walk away when we don't get our way...this is not the heart of Jesus...He truly wants us to think outside ourselves...giving of ourselves so He can be seen in us...

2 comments:

Angie said...

You guys are doing an amazing job Kris. It is truly an ungrateful, thankless (and unpaid!) job to be an elder. But, I KNOW and am praying that God will continue to honor your obedience to Him, in spite of all the negativity and discouragements. Take heart! "The truth will set you free" has been my mantra. I remind myself that I may be alone when it sets me free ;), but being alone and being free is infinitely better than following the crowd believing lies. I'm so proud of you guys. We MUST chat soon! I've been praying for you all week! Isn't Jay in a meeting today?? Maybe i will call...right now?! xoxooxo

Marie said...

I got the 1000 gifts app for my iPad back in November. I love it. I want to read her book...just waiting for my hubby to buy it on amazon! We should chat soon. Xox