Monday, October 8, 2012

Battle of the Boob (this is not really blog-worthy, so much as journal-worthy, but...i'm too lazy to get my journal...so...blog it is!)

Soooo....my baby is 9 months old. and 16 pounds. He's not even on the growth chart for weight...he was in the 50th percentile when he was born (8.6 pounds when he was born), but has gradually been on a 'decline'...never a really long nurser, but once he got the hang of eating solids...he became a really good eater...grunting and upset if we didn't feed him as fast as he wanted...he can EAT, this kid...

annnnyways. My doctor wanted me to do some blood tests to rule out any trouble with his thyroid, diabetes, blood sugar type stuff....and wanted me to try to increase his calories with more food and introducing him to whole milk. He's only been breast-fed, and never been interested in taking a bottle, so I wasn't too sure how he'd like milk, but...I gave him a sippy cup the next day and...he loved it!! This sippy cup was the kind you bite to squeeze the milk out - a soft tip...annnyways....

He stopped nursing.

And I was not prepared at all. I didn't even realize how much I was enjoying it -- in the beginning it seemed more like a nuisance, and every time he refused the bottle, and woke up multiple times in the night...I just wished there was someone else who could do m job!

But since Jonah nursed until almost 13 months old, I guess I just assumed Levi would too...

So...I tried a few times the next few days, without success. But, it was unsettling for me - 'cause it was like he wanted to, but he'd either go to bite me or just turn his head and cry and struggle...sooo so sad and hard.

But i accepted it. On the third day (Friday) - I didn't even attempt to nurse him - even though he was very upset going to bed - he didn't seem to want to nurse, so I let him cry. Which may be normal for some babies, but -- he usually would nurse before bed (every other time he'd nurse after he woke up), and then he'd be ready for bed before I even walked out of his tiny little bedroom.

So, i thought he was done. Very sporatic nursing for 3 days, I figured it was done.

But Saturday morning he woke up around 4:30 -- I had no idea what to do to settle him back down...I decided to try him with a bottle, because every other time he'd ever woken up in the night, I would nurse him...i wasn't sure a sippy cup would do the trick. so I got a bottle of milk and attempted to settle him with the bottle instead...

And he was not having it!!

Yikes...I figured there would be no milk left in my boob, but decided to 'present' it to him just the same...and it was exactly what he wanted - and what settled him back to sleep until 9:00. I just soaked up and enjoyed every minute, not knowing if it would be the last time or not.

Well -- that was on Saturday - it is  Monday night now...and I've been nursing him morning and night since then. Which is great with me! I'm so happy to do it, for as long as he is willing. (within reason!!) he's still taking the bottle too, but has seemed to figured out what he wants and not to be confused or upset now with boob, or bottle. I'll stick with the bottle a little longer instead of the sippy cup. Totally different than how things were with jonah -- he mastered the sippy cup so quickly - but i'm not taking my chances with levi right now because i really do want him to nurse a little longer.

So, my theory is the exposure to the whole milk and sippy cup that changed things. But he is also cutting his two top teeth...could have something to do with him wanting to bite me...whatever the case...it is a little nerve-wracking sticking this sensitive part of my body into a little mouth full of teeth! yikes.

anyways. very boring post for any readers, but...I wanted to record this.

I get the blood results from his test tomorrow hopefully - and if everything is fine...I will stop worrying about his 'slight-ness' and rest assured this tiny little fella is just fine.

my word, i love this baby.

 
 
 

4 comments:

Rachael said...

Where else can ya turn to that friends care to talk boobie-talk, eh?! :-) Thank the good Lord for blots...such good outlets! That's what I say, anyhow...
Man, what a crazy adventure for you Kristi! My three girlies, when I was weaning them around 12 months, would nurse just morning and night for another month or two. I think it was more for me...to say farewell slowly to that whole bonding process. It is indeed such a sacred moment between mother and child, and I personally would have struggled if it was mine that randomly stopped! Glad hes not quite done with you yet! Although...those teeth are another matter. Youch

Rachael said...

Oops...submitted too soon...Anyhow...
My struggle has been NOT nursing these twins...somedays it just breaks my heart not having that special time. And im not enjoying my "bonding time" with my breast pump several times a day! It is what it is! But that's a whole other blot post! :-)
I hope all his tests come back fine. Will be praying. I would never have guessed he was such a peanut...he looks so good and healthy! Big cheeks and all!
P.S. I love your openness. Not everyone can blot about their boobs as honest as you. :-) You and I...we'd get along just fine.

Rachael said...

*blogs instead of blots in first post. Dang spell check.

Marie said...

Philippe is also 16 pounds and my doctor also wants to do blood test. He keeps going down on the growth chart. But he seems really healthy to me. My appointment is tomorrow. Let me know about your results. I love your post...it feels like I'm reading about my life:) I love you!