Friday, November 21, 2014

Counting the gifts

I've been keeping a journal of gifts for a long time -- I'm not a faithful journaler anymore, really -- depends on the season -- I've been writing more lately, because I am trying so hard to be intentional about being thankful.  Its not always easy...but as our friend Ann says "there is always always always something to be thankful for"...and its so true...there's always a lot to gripe and complain about too -- and that somehow comes easier, but...doesn't reap the same benefits, for sure.


So...
  • for waking up before the boys this morning and being able to make coffee and a little lunch for Jay before he headed for work. I usually just grunt and we kiss quickly when he wakes up at 5:40am, bless his heart...so it was nice to see his face this morning before he left...
  • for snow covering the ground - and Jonah being excited when he saw it on the deck (he missed it out the window at the bottom of the stairs) - and how he said he was wishing on his way down the stairs that there would be snow! so cute!
  • for an email full of links to my pastor's favorite Christmas music - I don't know why, but this made me so happy! He was chatting with me lastnight at our worship practise about his favorite Christmas music -- and that he took the time to write so many down with links, just made me smile this morning. He's only been in our lives a few months, but we are so happy he's our pastor...he's quiet and unassuming, humble, authentic and a thinker...I am appreciating him more and more.
  • shopping with my sister and my boys -- and picking out some little treasures at the dollar store to send to our friend Ryan in NB...and knowing that fella will be so happy to receive our funny little gifts.
  • having a sister who invests so much in my boys - I know they drive her (almost!) as crazy as they do me sometimes...but that shows that they are close and have spent a great deal of time together...I can't wait to love her little babe, who could be arriving any week now!! I cannot wait.
  • my dear Momma and Dad, picking up Jonah after a busy few hours in town...I know Mom is tired, but the fact that she wants to spend time with Jonah alone, on his day off school...means so much to me - and he was so happy to be able to go without anyone else. Quality time is that boy's love language.
  • Being invited out to friends' for supper -- who have boys who my boys adore -- and not having to make supper!! makes my time right now even more precious, that I don't have to be spending it cooking!
  • a kind and generous gift that couldn't have come at a better time.
  • seeing my hubby for a few minutes at McDonald's today -- he still brings a smile to my face!
  • the smell of those peanut butter brownies that just came out of the oven.
  • my driveway was fixed yesterday -- and didn't cost me a dime. I am beyond grateful.
  • a co-worker who has been so pro-active in making sure that driveway was fixed...
  • finally getting that broken necklace untangled...and having the patience to fix it myself. yup - I'm quite proud of myself. and happy to have a necklace again. I'm not one of those people who has a necklace to match every outfit. I have one. I bought it for myself a couple months ago -- so when it broke a couple weeks ago...I was...not surprised!!!...but also not happy. It stayed in the bottom of my purse until today...so it was a tangled mess...but I was determined to not have to wait for Jason -- who is much more patient and fine-motor-skills-y than I am. but: I did it. he will be so impressed!
And that's it for today, in a nutshell.


Honestly - Levi was a handful this morning when we were shopping...he is a handful most days...and I haven't quite figured out how to 'control' him...he exasperates me, pushes my buttons - screams and cries when he's not getting his way -- in public, alone, doesn't matter -- he has absolutely no care in the world for who sees him acting like a crazy kid. But...then he can be so 'soft'...so cuddly and sweet and...he melts me, quite honestly -- he's the cutest little thing - he makes us laugh so much...he's so smart and so full of life...so truly LEVI...just...what ya see is what you get with him...and I love that about him...I envy it a little, to be honest...and I am grateful for this little one who not only infuriates me at times...but slays me with his adorableness...I don't know if God will give me another baby...I still pray that He will...but if He doesn't...He is still good. He has give me the best two boys in the world. I really am so happy to be their Mama. 

1 comment:

Rachael said...

Love. All of it.
It's AMAZING how gratitude changes our perspective on life daily. Still learning and practicing myself. :-)