Tuesday, June 18, 2013

New York...two weeks in...

Two weeks?! What in the world? It feels like a lifetime already, in some ways...so far removed from my 'regular life'...but we have officially been here at Camp Joy in Carmel, New York...for two whole weeks.

It is surreal to be back here, to say the least.  As we were driving and getting closer, it was so strange all the landmarks and road signs that seemed so familiar, even though the images and names hadn't crossed our minds in 8 years. Very weird how our minds store information we don't even know is there!

The boys did really, really great on the trip...and it was a long one! Especially considering neither of them have EVER been in the car that long...about 15 hours total, though we broke it up into two driving days so we could visit with Jay's family near Nobleboro, Maine.

It was a whirl-wind weekend before we left, with Erin's wedding and friends visiting and packing, and leaving our house...insane, really. Its a wonder we made it here in one piece...Neither one of us are great planners or packers...we always say we will do better next time, but...then friends come and visit, and of course, we would much rather visit than pack!!! yikes. We'll never learn....

Anyways...we're here.  Jay pretty much just jumped right back into camp ministry...but...for me: its not quite the same as when we were here before, with two little boys in tow...one of whom is 18 months old, and very busy...and very shy...and loves his Mama...like: a lot.  I'm slowly feeling like I'm finding a groove a bit...its still orientation for the staff, so our 'place' is a little foggy right now, as the schedule isn't as accommodating for two little boys as it might be when camp actually begins, this Sunday.  But, the days have been okay, and I feel better when I'm connecting with people...or at least connecting with my kids, instead of just 'surviving'...

The boys are certainly being 'loved on', though...especially Levi...(of course! the one who is a little more intimidated by people, he's the one who gets showered with attention and tickles and people in his face...) Jonah has been very busy keeping up with the 9, 10, and 11 year old staff kids...5 bigger boys for him to play with...he's in his glory, for sure!! He's been learning to ride a scooter, and is gone some days almost all day long, riding his little scooter, playing at the basketball court, chasing his friends, or playing with the counsellors...it is non-stop action for that kid! He's picked up a little bit more of an attitude while we've been here, too....THAT, I'm not such a fan of. And the independence he's got here is confusing him about who's still in charge here! oh my word. And parenting in such a public place is not super fun...though its probably saved his life a few times!! .....joking......

Anyways.  I am very thankful to have a little house to live in for the summer...and we have a washer and dryer (no-one hangs their clothes on the line here...so strange!), and a shower and tub...and beds, and couches and a table and chairs...fridge, stove...and an air conditioner was put in yesterday, which is certainly making life a little more bearable, too...its certainly not 'home', though...I didn't realize how much of my identity is found in my home...where I spend the majority of my time, and what I 'do' is mostly in my home...I've felt a little lost at times not having my 'stuff' around me.  But...I'm finding a bit of a groove.  And really trying to be 'present' and not wishing time away, or pining after home and my family and friends who are continuing life without me...This is a pretty amazing opportunity, and I want to enjoy it, and do and be whoever God has planned for to happen in my life and heart this summer. 

I just got the password for the internet for my laptop lastnight, so I will try to hopefully update this blog a bit now that I can actually type and be connected to the internet! But this is a start...and all for now, I guess...

No comments: